Saturday, October 11, 2014

Communities and Networks: Using Social Network Analysis to Rethink Urban and Community Studies

To start the process of the information society book search, I used Amazon to narrow down my options. Amazon is helpful in providing the book search option, and in the search engine, I typed, "communications". Of course there were a multitude of options to choose from, but the one that caught my eye was the book entitled, "Communities and Networks" because the cover featured a skyline with smaller nodes within them. I then used Google Books to see if there were further reviews or more general information on the book. Surprisingly, Google Books did not provide reviews, but it did display a breakdown of the chapters and I was able to see closely what I would be reading. I then took a couple steps back and found reviews on Amazon of the text. Ronald Breiger from the University of Arizona states, "If you are looking for a compelling introduction to basic concepts and methods of social network modeling that will expand your imagination and help you become a more astute analyst of society and culture, then this is the text for you. Katherine Giuffre [the author] writes with insight and verve."

Jen Erickson

Review Citations:
"Robot Check." Robot Check. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment