Sunday, October 26, 2014

Melissa Quirk Internet Search

I first searched my hometown on fact-finder.com and found that in 2013 13,171 people lived in my hometown of Western Springs, Illinois. I then looked on project.nyc.com and found the demographics for Cook County, and saw that the population is around 5,257,0001 and it is 45% white, 25% black, 22% Hispanic, 6% Asian, and 1% other. I moved on to search myself, and was a little weirded out by the results. I googled my full name and the first thing that came up was Facebook accounts. When I clicked this, mine was the first account to come up. This may be because of cookies tracking, but this creeped me out because I try my best to keep my Facebook private. When I clicked on the account it showed a few of my profile pictures and some music I had liked a very long time ago. I moved down on the Google search results and found that both my old and new twitter accounts were listed(I had forgotten the password to the first one and had to make a new one). The tweets are open for everyone to see, which I also found quite creepy. However, I don't really post anything inappropriate or controversial and don't use Twitter much at all so I was not too worried. The next thing that came up on the search results that was actually linked to me was the link to this class blog. When I looked in Google images the only image I found that was related to me was an old tweet I had posted with a picture of my sister and I. It is frustrating that I am not able to make my old accounts more private without the passwords. It is also  was weird that there was so much information available on me when searched However, I am conscious of what I post on social media and will continue to be even more so after this in depth search.

1 comment:

  1. I think your point about not being able to make past accounts private without a password is interesting. I didn't really think about any of my past accounts because none of them show up; however, thinking back to when I had a MySpace, I have no idea whether it is was private which is scary because I have no idea what the password could be. I also made that account when I was younger, so really have no idea what content could be on there. It is scary to think that we will never be able to delete those old accounts without the old passwords!

    ReplyDelete