Sunday, October 26, 2014

Online Representation of Myself

Based on the geodemographic marketing analysis on myself, I found out that it was possible for someone to find out my address and full name just by entering my phone number in a reverse lookup website. However, to obtain that information, most sites require you to pay some small amount of money. My zip code can also give a lot of information about the area I am living in. Once someone knows your zip code, they can find out more about the population, average income and diversity in your community.   

From my search through social media sites like Facebook and Linkedin, I can actually retrieve my profiles and see my profile pictures displayed. From my Facebook profile, I can see my personal interests such as hobbies, favorite movies, favorite music that I have indicated in my profile. I can also see my status as a student at UW-Madison. Similar to my Facebook profile, my Linkedin profile shows my current occupation, which is a student at UW-Madison. Furthermore, Linkedin also shows my employment history, student organizations I have participated in and the languages I know. Next, I did a Google search using my full name. All the results were about Teddy Wilson, a famous Jazz Musician. I tried other words like “W Teddy” and “Teddy, Wilson” as suggested, but I still could not find anything about myself. In the end, I tried modifying my search queries, like adding “wisc” and adding “Madison” after my full name. This modification worked and I could find my Linkedin and Facebook profiles in the top search results.

A person from a geodemographic firm would think that I am just a typical college student living in a college town. I think this is a fair and accurate representation of me. There is relatively few information about myself since I am still in school and have not established my career yet.        

1 comment:

  1. I think your results were very interesting because they were very similar to my own. I also was unable to find a lot of personal information about myself online aside from the publically viewable parts of my Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. Your point about the reason for the lack of personal information about yourself online being that your a college student and hadn't started a career was something I hadn't considered before. I think that's definitely a possible reason and I'm curious if once I start a career this will change and I will have more publically viewable information online.

    ReplyDelete