Friday, October 10, 2014

The Information Diet: A Case for Conspicuous Consumption


Book Reviews 

When I was researching my book, I first used Amazon and simply typed in the phrase “information society” and scrolled through until I saw a cover that intrigued me: a nutrition label as the image, titled The Information Diet: A Case for Conspicuous Consumption. After finding this book, I looked at the “Other Recommended Books” on Amazon and choose a couple to look closer in to. My three choices included: The Information Diet: Conspicuous Consumption, Impulse Society, and The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection. After looking up these books on WorldCat and Library Thing, I found some reviews that helped me pick. The single review on Impulse Society was very negative, and talked about Paul Robert’s rigid argument. There was no review on The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection. There were over 30 reviews on The Information Diet: Conspicuous Consumption, and most say the book is worth reading.
In the end I Choose The Information Diet: A Case for Conspicuous Consumption, because it is a book more about arguing how to balance social media, rather than arguing against it, which was similar to my thesis in my paper this semester.

Citations for reviews

"Reviews: The Impulse Society: America in the Age of Instant Gratification by Paul Roberts." LibraryThing.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2014.


"Reviews: The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption by Clay A. Johnson." LibraryThing.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2014.

2 comments:

  1. It's really nice to check out the "Other Recomended Books" section on Amazon. I also tried using it and I could find interesting books that discuss similar issues. Most of the time, the books that appear in the recommended section are still relevant to theme of information society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like it would be an interesting book to read, since today many people view social media as something that is bad. An argument to balance social media seems realistic and different.

    ReplyDelete