Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Culture of Connectivity-Melissa Quirk

I began my search by typing in "digital divide" to the advanced Amazon search and came up with a book actually titled "The Digital Divide". Although the book seemed interesting and relevant to much of the class material, it was too old. I continued my search by searching "social networking" and narrowing down the date to after October 2012. I came up with the book, "The Reputation's Society", which seemed very interesting and was around 220 pages. It was also around two years old. This was available at Madison Libraries which was also a plus. However, I didn't find very many reviews on this when I looked on Google Books and when I flipped through the actual pages it didn't seem as interesting as my last book find. I found my third book option by typing "social media" into the Amazon book search and found the book "The Culture of Connection". This is by Van Dijk, who we read an excerpt from for our LIS201 class. This focused on the history and future of social media, which I find very interesting. I am considering a major in marketing and want to learn more about how social media affects society. This book is around the same amount of pages as "The Reputation's Society" and was published less than a year ago in January of 2013. I also found many good reviews on this through my search in ProQuest. One of the best was "The culture of connectivity: a critical history of social media" by C. Wankel. This book focuses on the many aspects of social media, and I am excepted to see Van Dijk's analysis.



No comments:

Post a Comment