Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Online Self Analysis


Online Self Analysis 

         I thought this assignment was very interesting and fun to do.  Starting with the geodemographic information, when I entered my cell phone number, the internet identified that it came from a town a few towns over from where I actually live.  However, when I went to the website, there was a link that said it had all of my personal information if I paid a certain amount of money, which I did not do but feel that it is a little scary.  When I looked up my home zip code in the census finder, I was not surprised by the results I saw, but I had never known the exact numbers of the population, income, and other data so it was cool to see how my town is compared to the ones nearby, which I also checked.  The most interesting part of the assignment I felt was the map that showed the percent of people of different races and ethnicities.  My school district encompasses many different towns in my area so I looked at all of them.  It was crazy to see my town, which has only 5% black, and then see two towns over an area with 70% black.  Next I looked n various social networking sites I am a member to to find myself,  I saw a couple pictures that I know are not private, such as Facebook profile pictures or cover photos, LinkedIn information, and twitter tweets.  Lastly, when I googles myself, I was surprised to see many other Alyssa Rothmans come up before me.   I had to reach the bottom of the second page to find my Vine account, which I don't even use anymore.  Then I went to google images and found some pictures of me scattered throughout many others.  I even found my picture from my post on this blog.  Overall, I think my internet presence depicts me accurately even though it was hard to find if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for.  I was also surprised that it was hard to find things about me since I have so many social media accounts. 

1 comment:

  1. I found this assignment interesting too. That is so creepy that the website you found said one could pay for your full information. However, I doubt this was accurate or would give legitimate information. It is interesting that when you typed in your phone number it said the area you live by because for me nothing came up. I did find more about my social media accounts though. I think it is good for you that you did not. I feel like the less I find about myself when I search, the happier I am. I'm glad you enjoyed this assignment as much as I did..creepy how much is out there!

    ReplyDelete