Monday, October 27, 2014

Jacob Lorig Internet Search

I spent some time looking myself up on the internet over various outlets online. I first started by entering some of my basic information (Address, Phone Number, Email) on a few websites. I actually found that by entering my basic information online, not a lot of personal information was revealed. When putting my cell phone number on the White Pages website, the only information that was available was that I am located in the Chicagoland area.

I followed up the basic search of myself by doing some research on different social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin). I tend to stay protective of myself on social media. When I was in High School, my Facebook profile was less limited, allowing people who were not Facebook friends with me to view some of my photos and personal information. Since applying to college, however, I have limited my profile on Facebook much more and have kept a close eye on anything that gets posted on my timeline. However, it is a bit creepy that people who are not my Facebook friends are able to see my hometown, age, education, work experience, and interests. My Twitter and Instagram accounts are private, meaning that anyone who I do not accept cannot see my profile and posts. On Linkedin, information about where I am from is available, and people are able to see my connections on the website.

After looking on Social Media, I concluded my research by looking myself up using Google search. Similar to my previous search, the first links after searching my name on Google was my various Social Media profiles. Something that did make me a little uneasy was putting in my last name on Google leading to links to other members in my family and information about them. Overall, I feel comfortable about what information is exposed about me online.

No comments:

Post a Comment