Thursday, September 4, 2014

A Bit About Jen Erickson

Hello everyone! My name is Jen Erickson and I am a sophomore at this wonderful university, intending on applying to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication for spring semester. Ideally taking the Strategic Communication route, I love interaction with people and using my creative side to convey messages which appeal to a broad audience. I am currently on the exec board of the student organization, PRSSA, which is a group of students pursuing a career in Public Relations. On the board, my role is titled as 'Internal Relations Director', so my duties consist of planning all the events we put on to attract more students, and more importantly, get to know our members involved in the organization.
My sister (left) and I smiling big for the Pack!

On top of holding a position with PRSSA, myself and three other students are kicking off a new student organization this semester which we are all elated about. This group is called NOW-UW, which strives for social justice amongst distinct groups, particularly women. Our mission is to take action in promoting equality to the people around us.

I grew up in Germantown, Wisconsin, a suburb roughly 25 minutes outside of the city. My family and I are extremely close and love a nice evening walk after dinner, accompanied with a movie night after. Our favorite weekend activity is making the trip up to our cottage and soaking in the sun for a day on the lake. Also, we are HUGE Packer fans; go over for a Sunday afternoon and you'll hear lots of screaming and cheering.

Now for some hobbies...I like to consider myself an active individual who enjoys a nice daily run around the capital, and along the lake. I understand the Wisconsin winters and the long walks to class can be treacherous to most, but the walk and scenery I find pleasant. However, an evening filled with romantic comedies (got to love 'Bridesmaids') is never something to complain about.

My last heavy-writing course taken was Journalism 201: Introduction to Mass Communication; this course prepared me for writing more analytical pieces, while still using my own voice within the writing. It also helped me look at the media in a new way. What I hope to continue in this class is broadening my perspective when analyzing, but still make sure my ideas are strongly heard.

Excited for a semester with you all!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you're kicking off a new student org this semester! NOW-UW sounds really interesting and I'd love to learn more. I helped kick off a new student org last semester called Lean-In, so definitely let me know if you have any questions regarding new student orgs!

    ReplyDelete