Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Getting to Know Jacob Lorig

Hey Everyone. My name is Jacob Lorig and I am a current sophomore at UW-Madison. I am enrolled in the Wisconsin School of Business, and I am planning on double majoring in finance and marketing. I am from the greatest city on earth, Chicago.
I have two younger sisters, both adopted from Russia. I have one cat and once had a goldfish who lived for four years. I live and breathe Chicago sports, especially the Bulls.
I'm also very passionate about Wisconsin sports, and I expect big things from the basketball team again this year. For the past three summers, I have worked as an overnight camp counselor at Camp Chi in Lake Delton, WI. The best trip I have ever been on was during my senior year of high school. I went with some high school friends on a service trip to Tanzania. We lived in a small village on the base of Mount Kilimanjaro, and closed the trip with a safari.

In my free time, I like playing sports, specifically basketball and volleyball. I also have a growing interest for cooking, something that is very relevant to me now that I live in my own apartment. I also like listening to music and hanging out with friends (the usual). Since arriving at Wisconsin as a Freshman last year, I have become involved in a social fraternity. I have made many great friends through the fraternity, and continue to build those bonds today. I am also involved in the Sports Business club, as my dream career is in the Sports Business Industry. This year, I plan on joining a few other student organizations, including the Real Estate Club and a volunteer club. 

I live on Dunkin Donuts' Iced Coffee, so it's pretty disappointing to me that we don't have one on State Street here in Madison. My favorite restaurant in Madison is Graze, which is located right near the capital. My go to place for any meal is Chipotle, even when the line is out the door (which it usually is). 

I actually really enjoy writing, but prefer to write about non-fiction topics. I would like to start my own sports/sports business blog, which could be in the works in the near future. The last writing-intensive course I took was my History 109 (History of American Capitalism) class last year. It involved mostly historical writing, with some room for creative writing as well. As far as this class, I hope to truly improve my writing and start to develop a professional tone in my writing. I look forward to meeting everyone else and having a great semester in LIS 201!

3 comments:

  1. we seem to have a lot in common. Can't wait to get to know you better in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob,

    I really liked your post about yourself. When I read the information about your love of Chicago sports my heart sank a little bit when I thought about the personal struggles you have endured with Derrick Rose's plague with injuries. I look forward to learning more about you and hopefully see your writing continue to improve.

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to high school in Boston area, so I am a fan of DD as well! I felt totally the same about not having any DD shop on state street...there's one on park street but it's kind of far. Hope you find your substitute for DD iced coffee!

    ReplyDelete