Sunday, November 16, 2014

ARIS Game

It took awhile for me to find an ARIS game that would work for me, but I eventually was able to get the UW Campus Tour game to launch and run successfully. This game was a tour of the entire UW Campus and went around all over from the Camp Randall Arch to the Lincoln Satue on Bascom Hill. It talked about the history and signfinicance of each place that it had me visit and was very informative and interesting to complete. I really thought it was cool how the game utilized the GPS to track your location and create a game out of real life. Rather than having a character interact in a virtual world the game made me the character and used the real world. The game featured different "quests" to complete which generally meant finding places on campus, and I thought it was a clever way to gamify a tour. I thought that the way the games worked was really cool and illustrated a very effective way that games can be used to completely change the way we experience different things and make them much more modern and interactive.

2 comments:

  1. I was definitely having trouble finding a game that would work for me as well, it seemed like some of them were incomplete or just too difficult to run. I saw the game UW Campus Tour, but did not try it. It does sound very interesting in that it has a GPS tracker that basically runs the game. I also agree that having a game that uses the real world makes it more interesting than a fake world because we are familiar with the places, so it feels more realistic. I will definitely give that game a try, especially to see how actually accurate it is when giving you a tour of the campus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time getting the game to work as well, but was able to get it going and went on the UW Campus Tour. It was cool to work the game with the GPS tracker to monitor my progress. It was cool that my phone worked as a bridge between my movements and the game. It felt as if I was following a map in a game, but I had control of the cursor's movements. Great game to use if you want to explore and learn about campus.

    ReplyDelete