Sunday, November 2, 2014

Turn off the Phone...turn on again

Going into this weekend I tried to see whether or not I could survive without my phone or computer. I did not last very long and was using my phone by late Friday. I tried to limit my phone usage and tried to get ahead on some schoolwork. I was able to get some work done, but in the end I still relied on my phone for communication. I realized that my phone has become an extension of my life and that I need my phone to know what is going on in the world. Whether it is something as simple as the weather or what my friends are doing at night. It made me realize that the phone is a small device that houses all basic facets of my life and provides a convenient space for me to access all of those parts. I did have a brief moment where my phone ran out of juice on Saturday and could not charge it for a while. It made me realize that I spend a lot of time on my phone because I found myself checking my phone for the time, football score, etc. That small timeframe made me realize that I should try to spend less time on my phone and interact with the physical world and spend less time with digital world. I found that my phone and smart phones in general have greater capabilities than several computers and that has changed us to be more connected to information around us and the people who we normally interact with in the physical world.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your statement of how pertinent phones are in our life today. Checking something as simple as the weather is a tool that we often take for granted because it is so accessible to us as users. As much as we can try to limit our intake of usage, so much of our lives involves the speed at which we gather information. I don't see it as a problem necessary, but it is kind of scary to see what the future may hold in terms of technological reliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with everything in your post, especially that phones in general have greater capabilities than several computers. I think today, we look a lot for convenience and efficiency, so it is difficult to avoid our phones when we know we could be getting information more easily, or communicating more quickly and effectively. I also definitely agree that it is scary to see what the future may hold in terms of technological reliance, as Jen mentioned, but only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete