Saturday, November 1, 2014

Failed attempts at cutting off my networks - JD Keiles

It's sad to be writing this blog post already considering it is 3 PM on Saturday but damn did I fail. I started off fine on Friday but trying to keep off my iPhone but it got very tough as the night approached. I realize now more than before how many different people I communicate with over text each day. I use it for planning hangouts but also just keeping in touch with people. Another tough thing to ignore was the application Groupme. I use it with my fraternity brothers as an ongoing group chat. There's always funny things being said and plans being made so when I couldn't look at it I felt pretty disconnected. When it came down to Facebook, I had a much easier time keeping off it. Although when I woke up this morning all of the halloween pics from the night before got me hooked on the website for a bit. It is hard to realize because we are in the moment, but our generation is connected to their phones so much. People are able to gain social status by having very few face to face communications and just creating their online persona. Overall this was an interesting experiment for me try. Next time I try and pick up my phone to look at some application that is a waste of time I might think twice.

2 comments:

  1. I failed quite early as well, but I also found this activity interesting. It was nice in a way to disconnect and live in the moment as you said, but ultimately it was too hard to stay away from technology on Halloween weekend. We have a Groupme for my sorority too, and when I turned my phone back on it was flooded with so much that I couldn't even scroll through all the way. It's crazy to see how much you can miss just from disconnecting for only one day. This was a very eye opening activity for me, and I appreciated that it was for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized too that so many things are coordinated over communication technologies. It was difficult to find out what everyone's plans were for the weekend of Halloween and it definitely made me feel disconnected. Groupme is also huge for me when it comes to making plans and chatting with others.

    ReplyDelete