Thursday, November 6, 2014

Online Over The Weekend- Manpower Inc.


Throughout the process of looking for jobs though the search engine, I wasn’t very surprised that most of the jobs I saw were in manufacturing and production. Since our last weeks discussion centered around how there is more competition now for higher wage and professional jobs, I would expect there to be little need for these positions.  First, looking at Madison, most of the jobs were temporary or contract.  Very little were permanent jobs except for an accounting offer.  I saw a majority of manufacturing and production for this city over the others I searched.  I then searched New York City, because in my hometown there were not many listings.  Here there were the most positions offered.  A lot were offered for logistics distribution and supply chain and listings under “administrative assistant.”  Since this is a large city, I wasn’t surprised to see some offers for finance, accounting, and sales positions.  Last I looked up Los Angeles, California because I have always loved it there and would love to live there at some point in my life.  Here I saw similar, but less, listings as New York, a majority in manufacturing and production and logistics distribution and supply chain. There were also options of human resources, sales, and marketing.  Most of these jobs seem entry level or positions that do not require a college education.  After this assignment, I realize even more how competitive the job market is today. 

1 comment:

  1. Your point of how competitive the job market today is completely true. As we talked about in class and section, in order to receive one's 'dream job' it may mean sacrificing some and moving somewhere out of one's comfort zone. This is partly due to globalization and how many cities seem to be highlighting on specific skills and companies.

    ReplyDelete