Monday, November 3, 2014

Weekend Unplugged


I looked at this assignment thinking: wow, there is no way I am going to be able to do this. I was right, However, I did start off the weekend strong, without any use of my phone until Saturday night. Ironically, when I came home from class Thursday afternoon, I dropped my iPhone and the phone completely shattered. My phone was broken, and I couldn’t text, call, or use any apps on it. I brought it into a store to be fixed later that night, and was not able to pick it up until the next night. For these 24 hours, it was extremely difficult to communicate with anyone. I had to make much more of an effort, like walking down to my friends apartment below to find out what our plans would be for that night. Because my phone broke, I did turn to Facebook to communicate with others through the chat option. In my opinion, it was necessary to let my mom know my phone was broken, and she wouldn’t be able to reach me for the next 24 hours. Even while my phone was in the store, I greatly anticipated its return, and it took a lot of my focus; which shows how important cell phones truly are to us in the modern age. As soon as the time came when my phone was ready, I dropped all my things and rushed to the store to pick it up. To be honest, it was my number one priority to get it fixed as soon as it broke. I did want to believe I could go until Sunday without using it, but without it, I felt completely out of the loop and even nervous that I was going to miss an important call or important information that would effect me in more ways. It’s very scary to see how much we rely on cell phones. This assignment also made me think a lot about the time before I had a cell phone (I think I got one in seventh grade). Trying to look back, I don’t ever remember having difficulty communicating with my friends or meeting up with them, so I asked myself what has changed? Why do we suddenly need cell phones now to do that stuff? It was definitely an eye opening assignment.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with this post. Having broken my phone before, I know what a nightmare it can be. Whenever you're without it, whether you break it or simply forget it at home for a few hours, you realize just how much you rely on it. Not only do you feel like you're missing a ton of important texts, but its hard to reach out and communicate with people if you need to. I myself only have about 3 of my friends phone numbers memorized, so if I lost my phone I would definitely have to resort to Facebook like you did to talk to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I faced similar circumstances like you. My phone was not functional on Friday because I had not renewed my monthly prepaid plan. I ended up not using my phone the whole Friday but refilled my account the next day. This experience also reminded about my life back in grade school where I did not have a cell phone and could successfully communicate with friends.

    ReplyDelete