Sunday, November 9, 2014

Manpower Inc.-Caroline Kreul

As I am heading into the job market and hoping to work in Madison for a couple of years, I was hoping that there would be some options offered on Manpower Inc.'s site that I might have not seen before. Unfortunately there were only 15 jobs listed in the Madison area with only one of them being remotely communications oriented. 14 of the 15, in fact, were either hands on or computer-heavy jobs. Eight of the 15 jobs available through Manpower Inc. in Madison, WI are "Manufacturing and Production" jobs, with the rest being in "Logistics Distribution and Supply Chain," "Accountancy," Engineering," "IT," and "Call Center and Customer Service." There were also only two permanent jobs (Accountancy and Call Center and Customer Service) and one temporary (IT) position while the rest are contract jobs.

When searching my hometown of Elm Grove, WI, I had 113 job hits. This is mainly because my hometown is located not 25 miles from Milwaukee, WI, an urban area with a lot more job opportunities than there are in Madison. These jobs are also more diverse while still mainly focused on Manufacturing and Production. Aside from the categories stated in my description of the Madison, WI job search, there is temporary availability for "Insurance," "Financial Services," "Automotive," Hospitality and Catering," and "Admin and Secretarial" to name a few. While there are many of these jobs available in Milwaukee, Franklin, Wauwatosa, and Racine, none of the types of jobs listed are available in my hometown. I suspect that this is because my hometown is small, largely residential, and doesn't have a lot of office or manufacturing buildings.

I then searched for jobs available in Charleston, South Carolina. I've always liked this part of the world and could see myself living in it someday. There are, however, a mere eight jobs available. Four of the eight are contracted Manufacturing and Production jobs, one is a contracted Admin and Secretarial job, another is a permanent Call Center and Customer Service position, and the last two are permanent Sales jobs. I am not surprised at these findings as this Manpower Inc. site seems to list mostly manufacturing jobs, an industry that is not particularly prevalent in the Charleston area.

Based on the searches I performed, this seems like a great site to use if someone is looking for a manufacturing or production job. The only real problem is that permanent positions seem to be few an far between, which is alarming because it can safely be assumed that those searching for jobs would prefer to take on a permanent rather than contracted position.


No comments:

Post a Comment