Monday, November 3, 2014

Challenge to Unplug

I started the challenge on Friday. First step I took was logging out of my social media accounts on my phone, such as Facebook and Instagram. The next thing I did was turning off my email notifications from Facebook, since I usually receive Facebook notifications through email. I realized that I also need to turn off my notifications from my personal email. However, I left my Wiscmail notification active just in case there is important news such as from Wiscalerts. Coincidentally, it was the end of the month and I had not refilled my prepaid phone account yet. Because of that, my cell phone service got cut off. So, I was essentially living without a cellphone until I refilled it on Saturday. Going through the challenge, I felt like I was free from distractions and could be more efficient in working towards the goals I really wanted to accomplish. In the end, I was not successful in the challenge after I picked up a call from my friend on Saturday. I realized that those electronic devices and features such as cell phones and social media are really beneficial for communication and networking purposes. However, if we become too attached to them, it is certainly not a good thing. This experience also reminded me of my days in grade school when I survived without using a cell phone or laptop and was still able to connect with my friends.           

No comments:

Post a Comment