Sunday, November 2, 2014

Unplugged Weekend

Going into the weekend I figured it was not going to be very hard to disconnect. I don't generally use social media very much and I probably send less than 50 texts a month. One social media tool that I do use often is Snap Chat. Snap Chat is the primary way that I stay in touch with my high school friends and my immediate family. My roommates and I also use Snap Chat to keep each other updated on how our day is going. I didn't realize how ingrained these communications were until I tried to stop this weekend. Throughout the weekend I kept finding myself in situations that I would normally share via Snap Chat. I was surprised at how hard it was to not take out my phone and send a snap.  The other thing that was difficult was to see all of the incoming snap notifications and not be able to check them. I felt like I was missing out on the happens in my friends lives. One example of this is that on Saturday evening I was hanging out with two of my roommates and the conversation was centered on snaps that they had sent throughout the day that I was unable to check. Overall, I felt that this disconnected weekend was worthwhile and it showed me how big of a role that social media plays in my relationships even when I didn't think that it did.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the hardest part of this assignment was getting notifications from different social media apps and not being able to check them or respond.

    ReplyDelete