Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Disconnect Over the Weekend - Caroline Kreul

I'm somewhat sad to say that this assignment has been one of the hardest assignments to complete and that I respectively bowed out of it by Friday evening.

I attended the Bucks Season Opener on Friday evening, at which it was easy to not use social media as it was a pretty good basketball game and there was no Wifi. I took pictures with my phone but didn't post any to social media. I didn't find it particularly difficult to avoid social media as there was plenty going on to distract me. However, I was at the game with my younger sister and our dad had different seats. To go find him, I had to use text messaging as the arena was extremely loud.

I also needed to use email on Friday afternoon as I serve as an editor for Moda Magazine, and we're compiling both our biannual print issue and monthly mini issue. As an editor, I had to be in contact with writers and our EIC throughout the editing process, which began Friday afternoon and will not end until the end of this week. My role also entails promoting our online articles on social media, so I used Facebook on Saturday afternoon.

Given my position at Moda, I have no choice but to use all of the available methods of communication. I need to be available to writers and other editors on a daily basis. Paired with my role as a student and the necessity of checking emails from professors and university affiliates, I don't know how I could perform my required daily tasks other than to utilize social media, phone services and the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment