Monday, November 3, 2014

Informational Freedom Failure-Adam Carney

From my experience this weekend, I was able to get a different view on technology as a whole. I lasted merely till mid day Saturday because of the temptation of using cellular devices. Honestly, the experience felt good to me, but I was unable to stay unplugged because in our society today we always have to know what is going on. It was a liberating feeling to be away from technology and only interact with those face to face. However, when something needed to be done as efficiently as possible I had to plug back in. What it made me realize was the utter simplicity of generations before mine. Social media and technology in general constantly give people access to each other. The freedom of just ignoring what was going on around me was really refreshing. It made me think of how we have become so connected as a society through social media, but that connection is probably  not the best thing for society. At times I felt lost without my phone because that is what I depend on along with many other technologies to get my information. I felt like I was missing something and it made me realize the constant need by my generation to know what is going on at all times. We are more upbeat and more worried about what is going on somewhere else than what is in the here and now right in front of our faces. We need to focus more on the physical aspects of life rather than looking at a screen to get satisfaction. From this experience I will try to disconnect more often and get the liberating feeling of not having to focus on others far away from me, but what is around me at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the point you made about how our generation is more concerned about what is occurring somewhere else, rather than living in the moment and enjoying the physical place they are in.

    ReplyDelete