Thursday, November 6, 2014

ManPower

Following my search on Manpower.us, the most shocking discovery is how many job titles consist of assistant, technician, financial, or mention something dealing with assembly lines in them. It makes me question what values are held at a pedestal today and what is the hiring process for most of these companies. By observing these jobs, it seems to be that one either must have high quality math and science skills, or be willing to be taken advantage of and assist higher up employees. It did not surprised me to see how Madison offered the least amount of jobs due to it being a college town, and a city made up of many local and small businesses. Milwaukee, Wisconsin happened to offer more jobs than San Francisco did which did surprise me comparing the population sizes (San Francisco has about 250,000 more inhabitants). Many of San Francisco's jobs were across the board, but mainly consisted of titles that summed up to being an analyst, or technician. Milwaukee jobs which are available heavily related to shipping and receiving services and administrative assistants. Madison jobs comprised of mainly customer service opportunities. What I take away from these three comparisons is what this says of the city and the main opportunities available, and why it is that those careers are heavily showcased. Seeing how many jobs seeking technicians and administrators is extremely eye opening because it is easy to forget about the individuals behind the scenes who are running the companies and providing customers with satisfaction.

1 comment:

  1. Like you mentioned, it didn't really surprise me at the low amount of jobs that Madison offered. However, I searched DC as well, as that area had only two pages of jobs too which I thought was a little surprising. I agree that seeing how many jobs seeking technicians and administrators is eye opening. I think the majority of jobs I saw in all three of my cities were "administrative assistants". I definitely agree that it is easy to forget about those individuals, and how interesting it is that it takes something like this college course to remind us.

    ReplyDelete