Monday, November 3, 2014

Unplugged Failure

I knew before I even attempted to unplug for the weekend that I would fail within a few hours, which in fact was correct. Friday started off fine because I had to work all afternoon so I was kept fairly busy and wasn't as tempted to check my phone. However, by the time I got off work at around 8 pm I immediately caved. Had it been a different weekend other than Halloween this task might have been a little bit easier, but it was essential that I use my phone to make plans with my friends for the night through text messaging and GroupMe. Also, because it was Halloween weekend I probably ended up checking social media sites more often than I normally would have, mainly because I was eager to see what all my friends chose to dress up as and what parties they chose to attend. I'm also a big fan of snapchat so it was hard to ignore snaps from my friends or resist sending them, again this being more difficult because of Halloween.
It was fairly easier to avoid using my email. I logged onto my wiscmail once on Friday and then didn't check it again until Sunday night. I don't have wiscmail set up on my phone so it made it even easier to avoid. However, come Sunday when I finally checked it I was extremely overwhelmed/stressed about how many emails I'd received in just 2 days. I'm used to constantly having a tab up on my computer with my wiscmail account, so I never go more than a few hours without checking it. Ignoring it for the weekend was nice at the time, but I certainly wouldn't do it again due to the unnecessary stress it caused me on Sunday.
Overall, I thought this was a good activity to have us attempt. If anyone ended up successfully disconnecting for the whole weekend I would be more than impressed. It definitely made me realize how much I use my phone and social media sites, and I definitely don't know how older generations survived college without such devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment