Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnected Over the Weekend

I knew that this was going to be a difficult assignment as soon as Professor Downey hinted at it in lecture.  Things would have been different on any other weekend, but with Halloween this weekend, it was a little more challenging.  One thing I did to prepare and try to make it as long as possible was coordinate plans for the weekend ahead of time with my friends.  I told most that I would not be using my cellphone or any social media starting Friday at 5pm so if they had anything to say, now would be the time.  Friday night was easy because we were having people over at my house so everything was all planned out for the night, and i didn't really need to contact anyone.  I made it through all of Friday night, but Saturday morning/afternoon is where I failed.  I found myself very bored with not much going on around that time, so I eventually gave up and hopped on twitter to see what was going on.  This was a difficult challenge because we rely on so many things that involve communication technologies.  Basically all of my plans with friends are over texting/group messaging so it makes things very difficult to eliminate those.  Overall, I think this activity shows us that we can survive and function without these technologies, but it is an inconvenience to do so and makes a lot of things difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment